Logo Clic

Logo Senior


Logo Clic

Law Logo

Show All Topics Image

Audio Image

Listen to Audio of this topic (Cantonese only)











Old Age Living Allowance

Social welfare for the elderly

The HKSAR Government introduced the Old Age Living Allowance (OALA) Scheme in 2013. From 1 February 2023 onwards, the amount of assistance payable per month of Old Age Living Allowance is HK$4,060.


The eligibility criteria for the Normal/Higher OALA are:

  • The applicant must be 65 or older;
  • The applicant must have been a Hong Kong resident for at least seven years and have resided in Hong Kong continuously for at least one year immediately before the date of application (absence from Hong Kong up to a maximum of 56 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong);
  • The applicant must not be receiving Old Age Allowance (OAA) or Disability Allowance (DA) under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or assistance under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Scheme;
  • The applicant must continue to reside in Hong Kong during receipt of OALA; and
  • The applicant’s income and assets must not exceed the prescribed limits set out below:

Single person

Married couple

Total income per month



Total assets value



“Income” includes:

  • wages from employment;
  • income from handiwork, business, etc. (including salaries, wages, monthly commissions or bonuses, and monthly income from self-employment);
  • retirement benefits/pensions
  • net income from rentals collected; and
  • payout from the annuity scheme(s) .

Contributions from family members, relatives or friends, and monthly payments received under the reverse-mortgage scheme are excluded, but any unspent and accumulated savings/cash in hand is treated as part of the applicant’s “assets”.

“Assets” include:

  • land and other non-owner occupied properties;
  • cash in hand;
  • bank savings;
  • investments in shares and stocks (including bonds, trust funds and accrued retirement benefits);
  • vehicles for investment (e.g. taxi or public light bus) and their business licences, and
  • gold bars, gold coins, etc.

Owner-occupied property, a columbarium niche for self-use in future, and the cash value of insurance schemes are excluded. However, only the value of one residential property which is the applicant’s principal place of residence in Hong Kong is disregarded. Other properties separately or jointly owned by the applicant and/or his spouse are regarded as “non-owner occupied properties” and are taken into account in the assessment of “assets”.

Assets in Hong Kong, Macau, the Mainland and overseas are included.


For enquiries, please contact one of the following:
Old Age Living Allowance Enquiry Line: 3595-0130
Departmental hotline: 2343-2255