Logo Clic

Logo Senior


Logo Clic

Law Logo

Show All Topics Image

Audio Image

Listen to Audio of this topic (Cantonese only)











Guangdong Scheme/Fujian Scheme

Social welfare for the elderly

The Guangdong Scheme and the Fujian Scheme have been launched since 1 October 2013 and 1 April 2018 respectively and are receiving applications now. From 1 January 2020, eligable applicants can apply for  Old Age Allowance (OAA) (Fruit Money) /Old Age Living Allowance (OALA) (including Normal OALA and Higher OALA) under the Schemes.  


Income and asset limits

There is no income or assets assessment.



Single person (HKD)

Married couple (HKD)

Normal OALA

Total income per month




Total asset



 Higher OALA

Toal income per month




Total asset



“Income” includes:

  • wages from employment;
  • income from handiwork, business, etc. (including salaries, wages, monthly commissions or bonuses, and monthly income from self-employment);
  • retirement benefits/pensions;
  • net income from rentals collected; and
  • payout from the annuity scheme(s).

Contributions from family members, relatives or friends, and monthly payments received under the reverse-mortgage scheme are excluded, but any accumulated and unspent savings/cash in hand is treated as part of the applicant’s “assets”.

“Assets” include:

  • land or other non-owner occupied properties;
  • cash in hand;
  • bank savings;
  • investments in shares and stocks (including bonds, trust funds and accrued retirement benefits);
  • vehicles for investment (e.g. taxi or public light bus) and their business licences; and
  • gold bars, gold coins, etc.

Also excluded are owner-occupied properties, a columbarium niche for self-use in the future, and the cash value of insurance schemes.

Only the value of one residential property which is the applicant’s principal place of residence in Guangdong/Fujian is not included in the “assets”. Other properties separately or jointly owned by applicants and/or their spouse are regarded as “non-owner occupied properties” and are taken into account in the assessment of “assets”.

Assets in Hong Kong, Macau, the Mainland and overseas are included.

Residence requirements

Applicants must satisfy the following criteria:

  • They have been Hong Kong residents for at least seven years; and
  • They must have continuously resided in Hong Kong for at least one year before the date of application (see Note below).


Absence from Hong Kong no more than 56 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong.

Consideration can be given to disregarding absences of more than 56 days because of paid work outside Hong Kong during the one-year period, if there is sufficient documentary proof.

If an applicant has been away from Hong Kong for more than 56 days during the one-year period in order to receive medical treatment outside Hong Kong, the Director of Social Welfare can consider exercising his discretion to disregard the 56-day limit requirement, depending on the reason for receiving medical treatment outside Hong Kong and the evidence provided.

Absence from Hong Kong means leaving Hong Kong for the Mainland, Macau or overseas countries/territories.

Other requirements

  • They continue to reside in Guangdong/Fujian while receiving the allowance;
  • They are not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or assistance under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Scheme;
  • They are not being detained in legal custody or in a penal institution;
  • They have surrendered their public rental unit or removed their name from the tenancy if they were authorized public housing tenants.

Application procedure

    1. Applicants are first required to complete the Guangdong Scheme Application Form (click here to download the form) or the Fujian Scheme Application Form (click here to download the form) and return the Form by post, together with the following supporting documents:
      • photocopies of any documents confirming the applicant’s identity and age (e.g. Hong Kong Identity Card or Birth Certificate);
      • photocopies of any documents confirming the applicant’s residential address in Hong Kong/Guangdong/Fujian (e.g. rental receipts or utilities bills);
      • photocopies of the applicant’s Hong Kong bank account passbook (the page showing the account name and account number); and
      • two recent photos.
      • The postal address is:


      • Social Security Field Unit (Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme)


      • Unit 2110-2111, 21/F., Landmark North, 39 Lung Sum Avenue, Sheung Shui, Hong Kong.


  1. When the application is received, an officer of the Social Welfare Department may ask for supplementary information if necessary.

  2. An officer of the Social Welfare Department will then make arrangements with the applicant for an interview at the Social Security Field Unit (Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme). The applicant has to attend the interview in person in Hong Kong and provide the relevant documents in order to complete the application.

Receiving the allowance

The allowance will be deposited to the Hong Kong bank account designated by the applicant. For elderly persons who are unable to open a bank account in Hong Kong, they may authorise a relative or friend to receive the payment on their behalf. If recipients want to transfer the allowance to Guangdong/Fujian, they have to make the arrangements themselves and pay for any fees charged for the transfer.


Guangdong Scheme/Fujian Scheme hotline: 3105 3266

Social Security Field Unit (Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme)
Address: Unit 2110-2111, 21/F., Landmark North, 39 Lung Sum Avenue, Sheung Shui, Hong Kong.
Website: www.swd.gov.hk/gds (Guangdong Scheme)
                www.swd.gov.hk/fjs (Fujian Scheme)

You can download the Application for Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme Guidance Notes here.